What are Negative Dynamic Ad Targets?
Negative Dynamic Ad Targets are exclusions in Google Ads that advertisers can set up to block specific web pages or search terms from generating or triggering ads in Dynamic Search Ads.
These exclusions can be created using exact URLs or rules based on category, page content, page title, or URL logic. Negative Dynamic Ad Targets help exclude website pages with sold-out products or poor-performing brands.
How to create Negative Dynamic Ad Targets
To create Negative Dynamic Ad Targets, you need to follow these steps
- In the Google Ads account, navigate to the left-hand side menu.
- Click Dynamic Ad Targets.
- Click the Negative Dynamic Ad Targets dropdown tab.
- Click on the Plus button.
- Use the “Add to” dropdown menu to choose whether to add the Negative Dynamic Ad Targets to a campaign or an ad group
- Select a campaign or ad group. Next, choose the ad group or campaign for the Negative Dynamic Ad Targets.
- Create the rules to exclude specific web pages.
- Click Add to review the summary of the rules
- Click Save.
What is the difference between Negative Dynamic Ad Targets and regular negative keywords?
Negative dynamic ad targets and regular negative keywords are both used to exclude irrelevant searches from triggering ads.
However, there are some differences between the two.
Negative dynamic ad targets:
- Excludes specific webpages or search terms from generating or triggering ads in Dynamic Search Ads.
- Can be created using exact URLs or rules based on category, page content, page title, or URL logic.
- Helpful in excluding pages on a website with sold-out products or poor-performing brands.
- Easy to set up in the Google Ads account.
Regular negative keywords:
- Excludes specific keywords from triggering ads in traditional ad groups.
- Can be added to ad groups or campaigns to prevent ads from showing to people who search for those terms.
- Used for excluding searches irrelevant to the advertised product or service.
- Added to ad groups or campaigns using the Google Ads interface or uploading a list of negative keywords in a CSV file.