Here's what Google says:
- “We want Google to be a safe and trustworthy place for both our customers and retailers.”
- “Customers should feel confident about the offers they are browsing and the businesses they are purchasing from.”
- “The more we know about your business, the better we are able to represent you.”
The guide outlines the necessary actions and measures that brands must implement to ensure their products and promotions are qualified to be featured in Search and Shopping.
This policy update includes clear brand standards, which can also benefit those who may face a suspension or warning due to misrepresentation.
To gain trust, Google has provided several aspects that need to be addressed, as stated in its updated policy.
- Ensure consistency between the registered business name and domain name.
- Feature an ‘About us‘ page on the website.
- Link to the brand's social media profiles.
- Brands should also be transparent about their business model and operations, display honest reviews and testimonials, and feature any badges or seals of approval.
- The website should be easy to navigate and have an SSL certificate to reassure customers that their data is secure.
- Additionally, brands should avoid using placeholders as it gives the impression that the website is still under construction.
There are several steps brands can take to help Google to understand their business faster and more accurately:
- Create and verify a Google Business Profile.
- Share up-to-date information in Google Merchant Center under the Business information settings.
- Link relevant third-party platforms to Merchant Center.
- Follow Google's SEO guidelines to ensure a strong customer experience is provided.
- Improve seller rating eligibility by opting into Google Customer Reviews or third-party review services.
- Match product data in the product feed with your website to ensure that customers see the same information across both platforms.
Read Google's Building Trust with your Customers guide for more detailed information on its policy.